Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Cat's Cradle - 10/4/2012

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Cat's Cradle
10/4/2012

Finally getting to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor is a show that had been a long time coming.  And while the 2002 version of me would have been ready to sacrifice his first born child at the chance to see this band, even the decade older version of me was pretty excited.  The band was eight members deep, and had configured themselves into a very tight horseshoe in the middle of the stage.  I only mention this since I was standing on the side, and it gave their performance a very closed-off look.  Perhaps this was intentional, fitting in with their sound, but it made taking photos a little tougher.  But you know what made it even tougher than that?  That the band was playing entirely in the dark outside of a couple of projection screens behind them.  And the projections themselves were often dark.  But it all worked well with their post-apocalyptic orchestral post-rock, the dark mood fitting well with their dark sounds.  They played about five songs over the span of their two-hour set, and as great as it sounded their music doesn't exactly invite folks to move around.  I hate to be that old man, but I would have killed for this show to be seated.  The Carolina Theatre would have been a perfect venue, though i guess if you had enough folding chairs the Cradle would have still been fine as well. 

My pointless jibber jabber aside, both my inner still-young self and my older crotchety shell was glad to finally see this band of Canucks perform their great, moving orchestral jams.  Another check of the bucket list.

No comments: