Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Archers of Loaf / Pipe at the Haw River Ballroom - 5/11/2012

Archers of Loaf
with Pipe
Haw River Ballroom
5/11/2012

At what point do we stop referring to these Archers of Loaf shows as "reunion shows"?  They might not be playing any new music, but I've seen them at least four times since the reformation and I missed a couple of their gigs.  They've played locally more often over the past year than pretty much anyone not named Lonnie Walker or Whatever Brains.  Not that I'm complaining, obviously - they're still one of my very favorite bands ever no matter how you describe the nature of their current status.  And they still rock just as hard as they did before the break up.  It was a great set - played most of the "hits" and really hit heavily on "All the Nation's Airports".  They also played the great "White Trash Heroes," which they don't play nearly often enough.  Great sound, great effort, great gig.

But here is the downside to the evening - way way WAY too many weekend warriors out trying pack a year's worth of partying into one night.  Obviously the Archers draw an older crowd, people my age and older, and for the most part they don't go out like they did fifteen years ago (something I realize at nearly every show I go to when I'm one of the old creepy men there).  So they get a babysitter, go to a rock show and get so drunk they nearly ruin the event for everyone standing around them.  Let it be said I hate these people with the fury of a thousand suns.  Especially the drunk brother and sister who nearly came to blows with the lesbians behind me, all of which were acting like assholes.

An interesting thing happened on this, my 569th viewing of the phenomenon known as Pipe - no one was throwing beer cans at them!!!  I guess this fancy club doesn't serve any beers in cans, and we were left with an incomplete Pipe live experience.  Might as well have removed the drums or guitar, it would have been no less unnoticed.  A couple of folks were throwing pita bread at Ron Liberti, but it's just not quite the same is it?  Unless the band was also performing in a tub of hummus, then it would be the perfect choice.  Anyways, Pipe played pretty much the same set of songs they've been playing for years and years now, Liberti delighted & tickled me with his antics, and they continue to hold the title of "funnest punk band ever". 

As a side note, this was my first time to this venue and it's great - beautiful inside and out.  Too bad they don't have more shows I'm interested in here, but then again if I had to make that long drive often it would get a little old, even if it is a pretty nice drive.  And the burger I got at the general store next door was one of the best I've ever had.

No comments: