Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Terry Malts / Spider Bags at the Pinhook - 4/17/2012

Terry Malts
with Spider Bags
The Pinhook
4/17/2012

I was incredibly excited for this show...I'd listened to the most recent Terry Malts album "Killing Time" nearly non-stop during the month before the band was to come to town, so I was well primed.  I tried talking some friends into going, but like with many of the shows I get most excited about, they were clueless.  Clearly, the world would be a better place if everyone just listened to me and did exactly as I said.  Then again, that would have resulted in a packed, sweaty show, which - while good for the band - ain't as much fun. 

Anyways, yadda yadda yadda, the Terry Malts were really fuckin' awesome live.  Their record sounds like the perfect combination of the Ramones and Jesus & Mary Chain, but live I didn't hear as much of the chainsaw/shoegaze guitars, and they sounded more akin to the Stiff Little Fingers.  They played pretty much their entire new album, including my favorite track "Waiting Room."  No, not Fugazi's "Waiting Room," they have a song by the same name.  But speaking of covers, they did end their set with a Black Flag classic, "Six Pack."  A lot of the audience sang along...I may or may not have been one of the people singing at the top of my lungs. 

Spider Bags were the closers this evening.  I've decided they sound like a modern 13th Floor Elevators minus the electrified jug.  It may not be he best comparison but once I got it in my head I couldn't get it out.  They have a punk vibe and attitude couple with a psyche garage sound and just enough craziness that you're not currently planning on committing them to the crazy house, but they ain't far off.  They are easily one of the best live bands in the area - a fact that is not debatable - and they were as good as ever on this night.  Like Whatever Brains, words fail this band.  Only seeing them play live will really set you straight. 

On a side note, this was my first time seeing the Pinhook's new stage set-up.  It might have even been their first show in this configuration.  It's much, much better...you can lament the higher stage all you want, but it makes the band easier to see.  I like to see the bands.  Not sure if the sound was updated but it's always sounded fine to me there.  They now have a much more traditional "rock club" set-up, no more weird side/corner stage where everyone packs in at the closest side even though there is plenty of room on the other side.  Thumbs up to the Pinhook on the changes. 

No comments: